My research focuses on institutional entrepreneurship in hybrid organizational contexts...which is just fancy academic speech for:
"Researching alternative start-up models at the cusp of social innovation"
And, a lot of my work involves the use of creative, qualitative methods.
DOCTORAL RESEARCHER, 2015–PRESENT
Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship, UNIVERSITY OF STRATHCLYDE
Conducting doctoral level longitudinal research project in the areas of hybridity, institutional entrepreneurship, and creative industries & social enterprise in Scotland.
doctoral Consultant, 2017–present
Scale up institute/Barclays, apr 2018–present
Conducting and crafting a literature review search exploring hybrid organisations, social enterprises, and scale up SMEs through the UK.
creative scotland, Jan–jun 2017
Developed and managed comprehensive database of research around creative industries academic community within Scottish higher education institutions, leading to a policy-based report framed around Creative Scotland’s four strategic goals for the creative industries: Investment, Internationalisation, Innovation, and Inclusive growth
Graduate Student, 2013–2015
Department of Arts Administration & Policy,
The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
Conducted postgraduate research in the areas of Social Enterprise and Creative Industries, focusing on creative social enterprises in Glasgow, Scotland. Developed expertise in the landscape and environment of creative social enterprises in post- independence referendum Scotland.
Undergraduate Student Senior Research Project, 2010–2011
Department of Theatre, UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE
Completed research about the utilization of theatre artists for American cultural diplomacy; themes included: cultural identity, international policy, and diplomacy.
Conference Papers, Working Papers, & Publications
"Phenomenological Methodology: Crafting the story of Scotland's creative social enterprises"
8th International Social Innovation Research Conference; Sep. 2016
Glasgow Caledonian University; Glasgow, United Kingdom
**Winner of Best PhD Paper Award
"Entrepreneurial Axiology: Hybrid values in creative social enterprise",
39th Annual Conference for the Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship; Paris, France; Oct. 2016
**Winner of Best Paper Award, Creative Industries Entrepreneurship Track
**Winner of President’s Award for Best Paper by an Early Career Researcher
My teaching philosophy involves Using creative methods to apply theory in practice
So, I'm interested in combining physical and virtual learning environments, and reaching global students from diverse backgrounds.
Lead tutorial classes within a set framework for groups of 15+ students. Prepare and presented topics related to key lectures and course materials. Contribute to setting and marking assignments. Monitor student progress and provided through the assessment of student work.
First Year Courses:
“Entrepreneurship, Theory, and Practice” Fall 2016
“Entrepreneurship: Opportunities and Ventures” Spring 2018
Second Year Courses:
“Creativity and Innovation Management” Fall 2015, 2016
“New Venture Planning”, Spring 2016, 2018
Third Year Course:
“Venture Management Strategy & Growth” Spring 2018
Academic Tutor, 2015–2018
Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship
University of Strathclyde
Financial Planning Facilitator, 2011–2013
Habitat for Humanity of Metro Louisville
Redeveloped financial planning curriculum for homebuyers. Facilitated and taught homebuyers the principles of financial planning, execution, and resiliency. Managed small group of volunteer financial planning teachers from the local community.
Teaching Assistant, Spring 2011
Department of Theatre
UNIVERSITY OF Evansville
Performed all regular duties of a TA for a class of 40 students including conducting occasional seminars, marking, researching and curating technology and media resources, creating study guides, and assisting with test preparation.
Third Year Course:
“Theatre History II”, Spring 2011
Education & Industry Experience
UNIVERSITY OF STRATHCLYDE
PhD, Entrepreneurship, 2015–present
THE SCHOOL OF THE ART INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO, CHICAGO, USA
MA, Arts Administration and Policy, 2013–2015
Thesis: "Creative Social Enterprise in Scotland: An Exploration Into How Glasgow’s Creative Social Enterprises Cultivate The Social Economy"
Activities: The Black Lady Caucus – Co-Founder
Travel: Switzerland, Germany, Belgium, Scotland
UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE
EVANSVILLE, INDIANA, USA
BS, Theatre Management, 2007–2011
Minor: Business Administration
Thesis: "Theatre as Cultural Diplomacy"
Activities: Habitat for Humanity Campus Chapter – President
Travel: Italy, England, Greece, The Netherlands
FOUNDER & CEO, 2018-Present, Blacademix.com
- Conceptualized and developed a streetwear ecommerce art and design business focusing on messages and images of empowerment for women and womxn.
- Chief of BAMF-dom, Principle Designer & Artist
FINANCE MANAGER, 2014–2015, REDMOON THEATER, CHICAGO
- Implemented and maintained all financial record keeping, including managing accounts payable and receivable, tracking income for accuracy, and creating reports.
- Executed and managed business documentation and licensing, including preparing data for annual audit of financial statements and tax return filing.
- Researched best practices in financial management and human resources management and implement recommended changes.
- Developed and managed human resources documentation and policies.
VISUAL COMMUNICATION & POLICY INTERN, SPRING 2014 ARTS ALLIANCE ILLINOIS, CHICAGO
- Designed and edited policy collateral for Arts Alliance Illinois including: Arts Education Policy Brief, Illinois Creative Economy Roundtable Member biographies and head shots, Arts Public Funding infographic.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT, 2013–2014
SAIC DEPARTMENT OF CONTINUING STUDIES, Chicago
- Facilitated daily operations of the Continuing Studies department, including: enrollment scheduling, preparing reports, memos, letters, and financial statements.
- Opened, sorted, and distributed incoming correspondence, including faxes and email.
HOUSING SERVICES COORDINATOR, 2011–2013
HABITAT FOR HUMANITY METRO LOUISVILLE, Kentucky
- Trained 50+ Habitat potential homeowners to complete 400 sweat equity hours (each) including construction education and financial literacy.
- Designed and implemented homebuyer marketing campaigns, which resulted in a 30% increase of qualified Habitat applicants.
- Served as an outreach coordinator to cultivate relationships with multicultural residents throughout Louisville, KY, by developing events and activities with community organizations including designing and planning a community festival.
Marketing Assistant, 2008–2011
University of Evansville Shanklin Theatre
- Established and implemented marketing campaign for the debut of Assassins, by Stephen Sondheim, by working with professional Graphic Designer, Director, and Marketing Director to create an original design concept for publicity campaign.
- Organized departmental publicity and recruitment of 40 prospective students.
- Researched for and maintained department archives.
Arts Administration Internships, 2008–2010
Arts Companies Across the USA
- Subscriptions and Marketing Assistant, Cardinal Stage Company; Bloomington IN; Summer 2010: Advanced the Cardinal Stage Company subscriptions campaign by creating graphic design materials, press releases, and subscriber letters for 3 subscriber-specific packages.
- Public Relations Assistant, Central City Opera; Central City CO; Summer 2009: Facilitated relations between the company and the media by serving as liaison between the Denver corporate office and the onsite office in Central City. Created publication materials, programs and the company newsletter. Served as the liaison for the Central City community through promotions with local businesses.
- Box Office Intern, Glimmerglass Opera; Cooperstown NY; Summer 2008: Served on a team of six box office assistants and performed general clerical tasks and facilitated ticket sales to season subscribers and single ticket buyers including group and special events sales; prepared daily income reports.
- Administrative Assistant, Buskirk Chumley Theatre; Bloomington IN, Spring 2008: Prepared informational packets, assisted with clerical tasks, facilitated daily mail and weekly bills, assisted marketing team by passing out posters, flyers, and postcards to small and large businesses
LET'S Start A conversation
So, send me all the questions! I'd love the opportunity to connect with you. Feel free to use the contact form to get in touch via email.
To follow my research, check out my research page. If you'd like to use my research for any purposes, please contact me using the form.